Tyrannosaurus rex was one of the largest theropod dinosaurs that ever existed. Its scientific name, Tyrannosaurus (‘tyrant lizard’) rex (‘king’) says it all. It lived in what is now western North America in the latest Cretaceous (68-66 million years ago). T. rex went extinct at the very end of the Cretaceous, and so is one of the last dinosaurs to have lived on earth.
- Scientific Name: Tyrannosaurus rex
- Characteristics: Tyrannosaurus rex was a large (at least 40 feet), massively built (5-6 metric tons), bipedal dinosaur. The head was huge, and the jaws contained lots of sharp teeth, some at least six inches in length! Each tooth had serrations on both the front and back edges, working like a steak knife to easily cut through the flesh of its prey. Tyrannosaurus rex would have been able to take down and eat any dinosaur it wanted to.
- Size and Color: This model is 8.75 inches long and 3.25 inches high. It has a dark brown back that fades to a cream colored belly. The tail has faint vertical stripes that would have allowed this carnivore to blend into the surrounding trees and make it harder for their prey to see them approaching.
- The Tyrannosaurus Rex is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free