Wild Safari® Prehistoric World Dinosaur Toys
Though similar in appearance to the woolly mammoth, the American mastodon is not closely related. The mastodons split from the other members of the order Proboscidea around 25 million years ago. The most well-known of these beasts was the American mastodon, which was the last of the group to go extinct about 11,000 years ago.
- Scientific Name: Mammut americanum
- Characteristics: Like mammoths, the American mastodon features small ears, a trunk like an elephant, and two long curving tusks. While still covered with a coat of fur unlike modern elephants, this hand-painted and highly detailed mastodon figure’s fur is shorter than the woolly mammoth’s.
- Size and Color: Our American mastodon figure measures 8 inches long and 4 ½ inches tall to the tip of its raised trunk. Its fur is a light brown, with darker brown for the tip of its tail and features light cream-colored tusks.
- The American Mastodon is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.